In the cooler months there is nothing better to warm cold bodies than a nutritious soup before the main meal or for lunch. I’ve also found that a healthy soup before the main meal tends to fill us up more thus we don’t eat quite as much, which is a positive. This dish is a favourite in our home. It is high in Vitamin C and even those that don’t like broccoli will love it.
Broccoli & Lemon Soup
Yield: 8 x1 cup serves
Time: 20 min
- 5 cups water (1250ml)
- 4 chicken stock cubes, although I use whatever I have on hand- vegetable stock powder usually.
- 600 grams chopped broccoli (stalks and all)
- 1 large coarsely chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2tsp fresh or 1/2 tsp dried sweet basil
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- grated rind of half a lemon
Bring water and stock cubes/powder to the boil in a large saucepan. Add broccoli, onion, garlic, sweet basil and pepper.
Return to the boil and simmer for 10 min.
When cool enough, puree in blender (or stick blender) and adjust the liquid until it equals 8 cups.
Reheat and add lemon juice and grated rind.
Serve with a slice of lemon on top.
Nutritional Information Per 1 Cup Serve