Italian Pizza Soup
This delicious soup is quick and easy to fix. Just add crusty bread for a hearty meal!
5 tablespoons olive oil
2 1/2 medium onions, chopped
2 1/2 green peppers, chopped
2 1/2 cloves garlic, minced
2 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
5 teaspoons dried basil
1 1/4 cups uncooked rice
2 1/2 cups diced or crushed tomatoes
10 cups chicken broth
2 1/2-5 ounces thinly sliced pepperoni
1 1/4 cups shredded provolone cheese or mozzarella cheese
1 1/4 cups grated parmesan cheese
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan.
- Saute the onion and green pepper until softened.
- Stir in the garlic and cook for a minute.
- Add the oregano, basil, rice, tomatoes and broth, and bring to a boil.
- Turn down heat and place cover on saucepan.
- Simmer for 20 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Stir in the pepperoni, and sprinkle with the cheese.
- Continue cooking for another minute or two.
- Serve, and add an extra sprinkling of Parmesan cheese, if desired.
If I don’t have pepperoni, I just add whatever I have – bacon, chicken or whatever. I ALWAYS add olives…it makes it!
This can either be done on the stove top or in the crockpot. I’ve done both.