Here’s my easy peasy recipe for Pumkin Pie
1 kg pumpkin, peeled,
1 cup rice (brown gives a crunch and nutty flavour but white is fine too)
½ cup milk
1 ¼ cup cheese
salt & pepper
1 cup breadcrumbs.
- Boil pumpkin and mash, adding a dob of butter.
- Boil rice. Add rice, egg, 1 cup cheese, milk and seasonings to pumpkin. Smooth into dish.
- Top with remaining cheese and breadcrumbs.
- Bake 25-30 min in 180C degree oven (350F).
- Serve with crusty bread and a tossed green salad.
Serves approximately 4.
I vary this depending upon what is in the fridge. If we have left over Fried Rice, I add that or corn, mushroom, etc
I also play around with herbs/spices like nutmeg, caraway seeds and lots more pepper.
Sometimes, I add parmesan cheese to the mix and maybe even crushed cornflakes instead of breadcrumbs.
If we have a vegetable soup, like a broccoli or cauliflower soup, made with home made stock, this will do us for a main meal…along with fruit or a piece of bread n jam afterwards. 😉